Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Waders on the move

30/09/26 - 08:05 to 12:30

An inclement start to the day produced some wader movement this morning. There were some short rain showers when I arrived but not enough to force me to take shelter. I'd been stood for 30 minutes counting the wildfowl when I heard a Ringed Plover, it called several times but I was unable to locate it but did manage a reasonable recording of the call. I could only record it as a single bird but there could have been others with it.

It then started to rain persistently and I was forced to retreat to the hide. I was still counting the wildfowl when I group of 9 waders flew through my field of view, Dunlin, I followed them as they circled but they suddenly gained height and departed to the west.

A little later another 4 waders flew in, after circling they landed briefly, another Ringed Plover and 3 more Dunlin. Before I could get my camers on them they were off, again heading west.

More Lesser Black-backed Gulls came in today, at least 170 but possibly more and with them 4 Common Gulls and an adult and first winter Herring Gull.

Herring Gull - adult

Common Gull - first winter

Three Stonechat were on the fence line by the gorse field but not many migrants today although the rain made it difficult to look for smaller birds. At least 4 Chiffchaff and perhaps 30 Meadow Pipit.

Stonechat - female
The Ringed Plover recording is on my eBird checklist

https://ebird.org/checklist/S397695930

No comments:

Post a Comment